Purple Ring - Salon
6-C First Full Turn [Full Turn Handward]
The first full turn is surprisingly easy
- Help them walk through follower’s part: full turn starts & ends with forward
- Show “americano” where both do big forward ocho
- Lead them in the turn a few times
- Help them do the leader’s footwork: Pivot-cross inward left over right, pivot a lot (270 degrees?) while crossed, final tiny step (or weight change) with right foot
- Help them walk through the turn in practice hold slowly, experiencing how the leader’s footwork functions to support invitations for the follower
- Have them do it normal speed a few times
- Have them try it with close embrace – how close can we stay?
- Have them lead it, interleaving it with the previous 2 turns.
- Turning landing feet out in open step can help it really flow easily to americano (“fauxcho”)
- In “americano,” leader’s step can be a bit smaller than follower’s
- Remind follower to stay close to leader. (Side step tends to fall out of orbit)
- That first sacada gets “revealed” when the leader invites the follower into a big enough side step around him handward
- During all the pivoting of the turn, it helps the leader to keep a little weight in both feet
- Remind leader to keep opening/inviting with left side of embrace (instead of squashing left arm in)
- Find a variation with different leader’s footwork
Watch the mission
BETTER ENDING THAN VIDEO: Instead of leader making a forward step, leader can change weight in place. Finish with shared side step.
Fixes? Questions? Feedback?
If you have suggestions for improving this mission, please submit an issue on GitHub
and include the mission number. For anything else incluing new mission ideas, sharing your experience, or your interest in learning to teach this manual, get in touch via email
← Back to the TOC